Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Facebook | Twitter | Home RSS

More acreage eligible for emergency CRP haying and grazing

August 6, 2012
Estherville Daily News

Larry Lago County Executive Director for the Emmet County Iowa Farm Service Agency announced today that additional practices have been authorized for emergency haying and grazing of Conservation Reserve Program acreage.

"The continued drought conditions has depleted hay supplies and affected the growth of hay and pasture across Iowa making additional authorizations necessary," said Lago.

The additional practices that are now authorized include;

n CP8A; Grass Waterway

n CP23: Wetland Restoration

n CP23A: Wetland Restoration, non-floodplain

n CP27: Farmable Wetland

n CP28: Farmable Wetland Buffer

n CP41: FWP Flooded Prairie Wetland

Practice CP25, Rare & Declining Habitat, which was previously released for emergency grazing is now authorized for emergency haying.

"Please contact our office to determine if your practice is eligible for this authorization. Ineligible practices include those in a useful life easement, land within 120 feet of a stream," added Lago.

Upon approval of emergency haying, producers must leave at least 50 percent of each field or contiguous CRP field unhayed. The same CRP acreage cannot be both hayed and grazed. For example, if 50 percent of a field or contiguous field is hayed, the remaining unhayed 50 percent cannot be grazed; it must remain unhayed and ungrazed. Haying must be completed by Aug. 31, 2012. All hay and livestock must be removed from CRP acreage by Sept. 30, 2012.

A 10 percent reduction in the 2012 annual rental payment for CRP acres used for haying or grazing will apply on the acres that have been hayed or grazed. Eligible producers can use the CRP acreage for their own livestock or may grant another livestock producer use of the CRP acreage for the purpose of haying or grazing. Hay that is baled may be given away or sold.

For more information on FSA's Emergency Conservation Program or other drought assistance, contact the Emmet County FSA office at 712-362-7221.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web