Traffic was detoured around five blocks of Central Avenue when a construction company working on the new Dollar General site hit an unmarked gas line Tuesday afternoon.
Estherville fire chief Dick Beaver said Black Hills Energy offices told him they didn't know the line was there.
Beaver said gas company crews were able to cap off both ends of the break and shut off the problem.
A gas leak forced local officials to close off five blocks of Central Avenue Tuesday afternoon and evening. Estherville firefighters were on standby throughout the incident as crews from Black Hills Energy worked to fix the problem.
EDN photo by David Swartz
Businesses and homes within a block of the site, including Estherville Lincoln Central High School, were evacuated as a precaution.
Beaver said the fire department was on standby in case something happened.
Estherville police detoured traffic on Central Avenue from 13th Street to 18th Street.
Later in the evening, traffic was still limited to one lane while crews worked to fix the problem.
Also assisting at the scene was Emmet County Emergency Management.